Friday, April 10, 2009

Yes I'm a nerd! And proud of it!

Oh, and I forgot, (just posted it a few hours after original post):





(I think only Ricky will appreciate the rest of the blog, so you don't have to keep reading if you don't want to) In math today, we talked about resonance and frequency and many experiments involving it.

The first video we watched was simply a wine glass breaking. I didn't know glass could vibrate that much! (NOTE: Do not listen to this video with sound. It's really annoying.)



Side view of same experiment. Note how long it takes shards to fall. Think how quickly that glass shatters completely!




One video we watched was the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (video is about five minutes long. I thought it was worth it!) Engineers had a hard time explaining why the bridge reacted the way it did, just resonant frequency couldn't have made the bridge collapse, they accounted for that several times. Apparently it was "aeroelastic flutter" that made the bridge collapse, a phenomena that wasn't well-understood at the time.

1 comment:

freddyfly said...

Sad thing is...I've seen every one of those videos you posted already.

Who's the nerd now!? hehe :)