Sunday, June 24, 2007

Good move? Or not?

Mayor Newsom of San Francisco banned bottled water from city departments, even water for the water cooler. I can't explain the story very well, so here it is...

But sometimes I think that we should stop using bottled water so much. We'll actually save water! Have you ever drank about half-a-bottle, then close the lid, and throw it away? You just threw away water in a container that doesn't decompose. It's about to be shipped off and buried in a landfill. I've done it before, and now I feel guilty.
Also, we waste so much energy making the plastic and wrappers for the actual water to be in. Then it has to be shipped off to where you live. (More energy used! Oh, boy.) Then you drink it. And if you're environmentally aware, you'll throw it in the recycling bin. Where it has to be shipped off to the center. (More gas! What a vicious cycle...)

I know there's some areas where the tap water is really...not nice tasting. Why don't you get a filter or something? I know that a filter doesn't make the water as tasty, but you're still making your carbon footprint slightly smaller...

6 comments:

Rick Edge said...

BAN BOTTLED WATER! It is an energy sink, especially when we live where there is an abundance of drinkable water from our taps. We are so derranged that we feed our lawns drinkable water, and drink bottled water.
"But without bottled water, I can't stay hydrated" - Ever heard of a water bottle? Nalgene?

Anonymous said...

You all know the real reason the environment is becoming drier--it's because a lot of our available fresh water is locked up 3 or 4 ounces at a time in thrown-away plastic bottles! I hear that investment in water bottle mining--to recover discarded water--will be wise in the next decade...

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness!
Like brother like sister!
I never liked the water bottle buying concept. Imagine buying water like soda? unthinkable

Letty said...

So does this mean that Californians are going to become addicted to soda pop? If they can't drink bottled water they may just keep buying the alternative...I think it is good to stay hydrated! Maybe they could distribute a water bottle for each individual and then fine them if they are caught not using it!

Lauren said...

Hmm...

Joslynn said...

I am convinced the answer is reusable water bottles.
(Actually, it was the only alternative I could fathom besides drinking from the tap or buying a filter.)
My goodness!