Monday, July 10, 2006

A List

I shall join all y'all (do you know the difference between "y'all", and "all y'all"? There is one, folks!) and write a list, as they seem to be popular.
TOP 10 HIT LIST
10. MOVIES INCORRECTLY TRANSLATED FROM NOVELS
I'm sorry, but I absolutely hate it when Hollywood modifies the story so all will go home happy and content...For example, in The Count of Monte Cristo, he does NOT go back to his wife and son as the movie depicts, and says he lives happily ever after. That ain't true! (I will let LOTR be the exception...they did well with that movie...) I'm just tired of the people with the attitude of "Oh, if the book is really that good, it'll be made into a movie, and I'll just watch it." What happened to imagination???
9. PEOPLE WHO VOTE FOR THEIR PARTY NO MATTER WHAT
Okay, okay...I know I can't vote yet, but I'm frustrated to hear about the people who are a die-hard Republican, or a die-hard Democrat, and will vote for only Republicans or Democrats. That's not how the system is supposed to work! I believe that you should vote for the candidate that you feel is right, regardless of Party. I wonder what would happen if on the ballots, they took off what party so-and-so is from.
8. DRIVERS WHO DON'T RESPECT BIKERS
Yeah, this is from a biker's perspective. Yes, I'm tired of cars who are plain annoying because they aren't only annoying, they also threaten my life. Please, don't hurry in front of a biker so you can turn right 10 feet in front of them to save 5 seconds on your schedule. You have the time to go behind us and wait 5 whole seconds to turn right. Please, stay at least 3 feet away from us. And no honking or startling noises either. It's actually quite amusing for you to go my speed, then floor the pedal to show how fast you can go. Hey, I'm pedaling my whole body and this bike against the wind uphill. It must be very hard for you to push that foot all the way down. I'm proud of you.
7. GRADE GOONIES
Grade Goons are very annoying. Brittanica has explained it all for me right there after Ringo.
6. UNKNOWLEDGEABLE KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE
Yes, these people annoy me. I don't care if you have an opinion on everything, or that whatever you say is right no matter what. You can't tell me what to think or the proper way to cut toenails.
5. BOOGERY NOSES

Yes, this is from my
experience with teaching swim lessons. Boogers, especially colored ones gross me out.
4. BARBIE
Ever since she came out, people like her became "popular". Blonde, anorexic, and plain annoying.
3. PEOPLE WHO ABUSE BOOKS
C'mon. Books aren't that hard to take care of. Pick it up and read and set it down. The pages aren't that hard to turn, it doesn't take that much force, stop ripping the pages! Books aren't that hard to put away. Just set it down on a table, or a water-proof area. Were you practicing for some competiton when you ripped the cover clean away? I would, and probably libraries would, appreciate it if you just treat a book like an...ipod. Do you throw red juice on your ipod? Or drop it in the toilet?
2. MYSPACE
I know I will offend someone about this peeve of mine, and that I probably should say, "No offense to anyone"...but I don't care if I offend you. If you're easily offended, then you should get an attitude makeover...oops, probably offended you again. All well. On to Myspace: I tried it for a futile month. Then I realized it's not for me. It's stupid. It's probably for the people who text message on their cell phones at least every 5 minutes of every day.
1. CLIFFHANGERS
C'mon! Just finish it! Stop manipulating us so you get more money on your next thing! *cough*Harry Potter*cough*Pirates of Carribean*cough*

3 comments:

Joslynn said...

Wow... I really liked this post! This is especially true since we covered many of the subjects in our conversations.
I have found that you and I hate many of the same things.
Yes indeed.

Brittany said...

I wasn't there for those conversations. But those are what I thought of while reading this. Glad to see you disliking so many of the same things.

Melissa said...

Nice list. I could comment on all of them, but I'll stick with the first--er the last. Film adaptations are a pet subject of mine. Since film is an entirely different medium than literature--a distinctly separate way of telling a story--it annoys me when people claim to see/read one in lieu of the other. For that reason, I don't think you can compare a film directly to a book (apples to oranges). You can, however, judge the quality of the adaptation. In that regard, I'm more concerned that an adaptation keep the spirit of the story intact rather than the actual events. That's why LOTR works so nicely (despite pesky fans complaining about rather brilliant modifications) while the initial Harry Potter's plodding devotion tends to detract from the overall humor and energy of the story. And I agree: Hollywood pandering to supposed public preference is weak. I was also disturbed by the way the Monte Cristo film ended. Then again, I was disturbed by the way the book ended as well. But that's a soapbox for another day. Thanks for letting me ramble.