Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Random pictures

So after an exhausting day at Lagoon, going to bed at midnight, my dear mom wakes me up early in the morning. Blast! I forgot I had to go on a hike!
We drove up through Milcreek canyon and started the trail from that side of the mountain. Our destination? Gobblers Knob. These fellows thought the trail was quite steep, but I have to disagree with the times they gave that it takes to hike up there.

The first part is dreadfully steep with lots of rocks rolling under your feet. Then you emerge on the hike material I'm more familiar with. Dirt. And a gradual ascent. Unfortunately, after Alexander's Basin (which was gorgeous, don't know why I didn't take pictures...oh yeah! I was struggling to keep up with Emily and Mom), the uphill gets even steeper.
Even worse? We lost the trail. So we decided to climb over the boulders and little rocks that like to move under your feet. If you fell, you had to be wary where you put your hands: we were in thistle city.

The view was beautiful and it made it pretty much worth it. Fortunately on our descent, we found the trail we should've come up. It consisted of really steep switchbacks about 10 feet across (if that).










Yup. I wore my chacos. And it was worth the dirt. Mom and Emily complained that the steepness smashed their toes inside their shoes. My toes were dirty and breathing air. Ahhh...





This is mom's hibiscus she's so proud of and has to take pictures of it every year. I don't blame her.























4 comments:

Letty said...

Wish we were there! once Ricky took me on a hike to Gobblers nob and we lost the trail too...only we ended up bushwhacking our way around the mountain and I was not a happy hiker.
Fun memory but seriously I was so sore from bushwhacking.
Totally jealous though.

Tanner's Tales said...

I am jealous of the hibiscus, since two branches of mine broke off, taking with it about 20 soon to be flowers...

Melissa said...

I think I tried hiking to Gobbler's nob last year but only ended going up part way for some reason. I'd better give it another shot. I love hiking in my Chacos--such a great feeling.

Tanner's Tales said...

I woke up this morning to two more branches broken on my bright pink hibiscus...I knew it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.