Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Engineers

You know what's frustrating? You think of a lot of good things or experiences for your blog, but then you don't get around to it, forgetting it completely. Hence why I'm blogging in between classes. So I won't forget!

I'm all settled here at the University. I met my new roommate, Kaylee. She's a senior, and she's awesome! Her friend Anand (pronounced something like "AHN-and") is over all of the time and cracks me up. He is Indian (from India, not Native American...) and he is as American as we come. However, he has an arranged marriage to someone in India, and gets to go there every so often. I thought that was just a stereotype, yet it's not. Arranged marriages still happen today!
Anyway...back to Anand. He's a Civil Engineer major, and he has a lot of amusing stories about engineering and engineers in general. I thought I was a nerd until I heard that he has even taken a shower in the engineering building. Apparently, many of the engineering majors have bad enough hygeine, that they installed showers in the building they so often visit, hoping to give a hint.

...And the stereotypes about engineers? A lot of them are actually true. Sure, not the whole fits the stereotype, but at least a good 75% do. Heh.

...The good thing about being a friend with an engineer is they have a lot of resources. For example, the book I need for physics isn't in in the bookstore. The silly bookstore didn't order enough, so now I have a 2 week wait. Unfortunately, my first homework assignment is due on this Friday. I happened to be telling this to Kaylee, and she told Anand, and he brought the physics book over with the step-by-step solutions to the problems on the homework if I get lost.

Hmmm....I like engineers. The ones with social skills anyway...

2 comments:

Old Warrior said...

You better have a soft spot for engineers. I think you are related to one--even though he does more lawyering than engineering...

Letty said...

I say engineers make great husbands!!! Seriously, what other wives can say that their hubby's would rather do any number of chores/projects to avoid taking a shower???
I tell you what, they are focused, task driven and great because they are just happy to be home with their family...not to mention the awesome science experiments they come up with at home...sour dough anyone??