Friday, June 30, 2006

Hmmm...I'm in a dilemma




Instead of reading Jane Eyre like I was supposed to, I opened up my yearbook to read the notes everyone has left me. (I hadn't even read them yet...whoops) And I come to notice that...most of the people leave phone numbers, saying, "call me!". ??? I hardly know some of these people, and yet, they are demanding that I call them. One problem that I have is that I don't own a cell-phone...we don't have caller ID at home...(Well, sometimes it's a problem). Does etiquette require that I call these people? Or are they being nice, giving me the impression that they want to be called by me? Or, are they just on autopilot, writing down the same thing over and over without realizing that they are putting a distinct phone number in my yearbook? Or are they lonely and really want a call from someone as awkward as me? Or...ack! The list could go on forever, and I really could come up with all kinds of reasons that probably don't apply. You want an example? Okay, maybe I person wants me to call them because they heard that I specialize in sniffing random things, and want to settle an argument on whether a ping-pong ball smells the same as the volume control on a radio. Random enough? You bet. My other confused problem is, what if a guy says that? Why in the whole wide whirlin' world would he leave a number? There's no way I'm calling him! Sorry. So, if you'd be kind enough to leave a comment, please explain to me the etiquette of handling phone numbers of people you hardly know who say "I Luv ya SO much! U R so funy! Call me!"

3 comments:

Joslynn said...

Now, don't be freaked out that I'm reading your blog. I have come across it through a mutual friend, and I promise that I am quite harmless.

As for your dilemma: I believe that the tradition of putting phone numbers in yearbooks is a dying cause. If a person really wanted to hear from you, they'd give you a call first, or make sure that you had their number on a post-it note somewhere. However, it has been done before, and I do believe an enjoyable time could be had by both parties.
So my advice to you is this: if you are in desperate need to talk to somebody, give it a swing! Randomly pick the most sincere one you can find, and give them a call. I'm quite sure that anybody would be delighted that you care, and that you have taken precious time to see how they are.

Brittany said...

Yeah, people really wouldn't mind if you called that number. They may not be sitting by the phone waiting for you to call, but they'd be ok w/ a chat or two.

At least they didn't write down something ridiculous like, "It should be illegal to be as cool as you are."

Natalie, it should be illegal to be as cool as you are.

Melissa said...

Nedge,

Stay cool and have a nice summer.

Call me
555-1234