Thursday, July 03, 2014

Why I chose to teach

"Why did you choose to teach?  With your math degree, you could do something that would earn you a lot more money, and you wouldn't have to deal with all those nasty teenagers."

"You're crazy.  I couldn't do what you do."

"One question.  WHY?"

"Are you crazy?"


These comments are not uncommon when someone asks me what I do: I teach.  Math.  A terrifying combination.  No one likes math.  Everyone has anxiety about it.  No one wants to be in school.  Students treat their teachers like crap.  Teachers (especially in Utah) don't get much in terms of money for work done.  I understand why people think I'm crazy, silly, or unambitious when it comes to teaching.

After all, those who can't, teach.


...Not really.  You see, I have found (in my limited experience) that most students do want to learn.  Yes, many students have anxiety about math, but I can help ease those anxieties by offering a positive and safe learning environment, where students can thrive.

As for my decision to teach, I have to say, I've always liked it.  I'm probably not your typical teacher, telling you everything I know: If I have 35 students who are 15 years old in my classroom, that is 525 years of experiences, perspectives, and ideas.  We all come from different backgrounds, families, and I feel that in a safe environment, we can use that to our advantage.  After all, 525 years is about 500 years older than me.  I like tackling the challenge of putting together math lessons that students feel like they can relate to, and they also have a chance of bringing something to the table for the lesson--something from their lives (if they're willing to share it).

Teaching is fun!  I get to experiment with so many factors to see how they affect my students and their learning: if I change the lighting, put different smells in the classroom, how does it seem to affect them?  What kind of assessments do my students enjoy, eager to show me what they've learned?  Which lessons do they keep bringing up throughout the year--because it meant something to them, resonated with them?  Why did a specific lesson fall apart and blow up?  It's challenging, hard, yet so fascinating.  I really like teaching.  I learn so much from it.  And I absolutely love learning.

Lastly, to those who shake their heads, commenting on how little I earn in terms of money, I say this: I only want a roof, food, clothes, and transportation.  I absolutely enjoy what I'm doing, why try to convince me that I want more?  I don't.  Teaching gives me something that money can't buy.

Lastly, if you enjoy passionate poetry slams, I highly recommend Taylor Mali's What Teachers Make.  (This is the censored version, you can find the original on youtube, if you wish.)



The end.


1 comment:

Brittany said...

I just love your passion for this! That's a rare gift.