Monday, February 01, 2010

Are you a nerd or a hipster?

(I didn't really crop the picture because I found it amusing that my Han Solo doll is in the bookshelf, upper left corner.)

I was sitting in one of the hallways in one of the math buildings here at the U. I was enjoying the newspaper, specifically Pearls Before Swine and Robert Kirby, as I was drinking some Pero I had in my thermos. I looked up to see a boy staring at me, and noticing he'd been caught (he was standing 5 feet from me, yeah, I wouldn't notice), he asked me "Are you a nerd or a hipster?" My face must've looked puzzled, because he clarified that my shirt confused him. Here's a bigger image of it: http://blogs.sun.com/kevin/resource/star%20wars%20rocks.jpg (My shirt does not include the caption.)


I know what a nerd is. But I'm not sure what exactly is meant by a "hipster." I looked it up. The first definition states the obvious,

"A person who is hip."

But the next definition made me laugh. Maybe hipsters and nerds have more in common than I thought:

"a person, esp. during the 1950s, characterized by a particularly strong sense of alienation from most established social activities and relationships."



Feeling an identity crisis, I posted it as my facebook status: "'Are you a nerd or a hipster?'-a boy from one of my math classes." Within minutes of writing it, my coach assured me that I was a NERD!



Whew.




Got some free time? "White and Nerdy", a parody of another song. Donny Osmond occasionally shows up dancing in the background.

4 comments:

Old Warrior said...

Nipster? Herd? Not quite sure if either hipster or nerd fits....

Rick Edge said...

If you looked up the definition...

Letty said...

hummmm I vote for nerd. Only because you are very smart and witty. I'm not quite sure waht defines "hip".
What was your response to the "boy" in question?

Brittany said...

I really like the picture you added with this post!